Kansas City Kristal

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Under The Kitchen Sink

I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to get some contact paper for this organizing challenge....My husband has started a new job with the railroad and as a trainee, he has been working evenings, then nights, then really late nights this week, so our schedules are all kind of messed up!  He went in from midnight to 9 am these last few nights.  Bless his heart!  So, I haven't been sleeping well and thought I would take my curtains back to Walmart and get the contact paper and clean out under the sink.  Found out that Walmart doesn't do returns after 10 pm, so just got the contact paper, doh!  The curtains that I got were black-out curtains to help him sleep during the day.  They had several varieties on clearance, so I picked up what they had and to my great luck the $5.00 curtains are amazing!  So the $13.00 ones went back.  Awesome find!  So, back to the contact paper.  I used to practically be a professional contact paperer; anytime anyone moved, I would help organize the kitchen and contact paper everywhere.  It has been a few years since anyone needed my services, thanks to ALL of my close friends moving far away!  Boo!  I did not do my usual routine when I moved in this house because the cabinets were newer and there wasn't a stitch of contact paper anywhere and my mom had mentioned about bugs getting under contact paper, so I just didn't do it.  Well, I'm back to contact papering!  I didn't find any that I love, but this green stripe will work in every place that I want to use it.  I guess I should also confess that I am a real estate agent and I have inherited a lot of cleaning supplies from clients moving, movers don't recommend (some won't do it) moving cleaning supplies and I hate to see things thrown away....so they come home with me.  Cleaning out under the kitchen sink involved trying to organize all of my cleaning supplies under all of my sinks and mixing chemicals, which I don't like to do.  Actually, I only combined stuff that was the same thing, same brand, etc.  So, this was a big project for me, but so, so, so glad it's done!  AND these challenges have been a great springboard for setting up everything in a better way, more ergonomic, economic and cute, too!
BEFORE---Ugg, definitely not cute!
AFTER--Love it!
There was an intermediate where I had the trash bags in the middle, but I bought that green basket to use somewhere in the kitchen and I figured out it is perfect for my dishrags, so I moved the box of trashbags over so it can support the basket and, voila!  I am so excited about under my sink!  I even cleaned the disposal while I was doing all of this.  My kitchen sink is so clean if I dropped a grape in the disposal I would stick my hand in and retrieve it and pop that sucker in my mouth. 
Okay, not really, I just wanted you to have a reaction.  So, the 21 day challenge was only under the kitchen sink, but all of this stuff is interconnected in my house, so I had to move on to under the bathroom sinks.  I am hopeful that it will be one of the upcoming challenges, but either way, I'm glad it's done.
BEFORE--Under the bathroom sink

BEFORE--Under the bathroom sink

BEFORE--Under the bathroom sink
One thing this house has that I love is a lot of storage space.  I had to tackle this to organize the cleaning supplies and the linen closet that is one of the Challenges that I'm behind on.  So I pulled everything out, wiped everything down and contact papered away! 
AFTER--Under the bathroom sink

AFTER--Under the bathroom sink

AFTER--Under the bathroom sink
I moved a lot of my make-up and hair-supplies into the cabinets from the linen closet to make more room for towels and better organization.  I've been dreading the linen closet and, in fact, I was going to try to cheat and use this linen closet for the challenge, but cheating only cheats yourself.
BEFORE--Small Linen Closet

BEFORE--Small Linen Closet
AFTER--Small Linen Closet

AFTER--Small Linen Closet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments is FUN! Thanks for taking the time to make my day!